I recently saw the Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson film The Bucket List, and also read a couple of blogs about people travelling around the world ticking off bucket list items as they go. While I’m not anticipating my demise any time soon, the idea stuck with me as a way of documenting and organising my dreams and aspirations, and giving drive to my free-time activities.
So here’s the list of things I can remember at the moment. I’ll add to and update it as time goes by.
- Sail across one of the world’s great oceans.
- Have a book published.
- Become fluent in a second language.
- Climb the highest mountain on a continent (I don’t mind which continent).
- Go parachuting.
- Go bungee jumping.
- Cycle the Pan-America highway.
- Cycle the Paris-Brest-Paris.
- Do the mongol rally.
- Run a marathon.
- Live for an extended time in the Netherlands or Denmark, the world’s two great cycling nations.
- Live for an extended time in Spain or Italy, two of my favourite places in the world.
- Be self-employed.
- Visit over 100 countries (so far: 1. France, 2. Spain, 3. Italy, 4. Portugal, 5. Switzerland, 6. Austria, 7. Germany, 8. Ireland, 9. US, 10. Canada, 11. Netherlands, 12. Belgium, 13. Denmark, 14. Sweden, 15. Finland, 16. Estonia, 17. Latvia, 18. Czech Republic, 19. Greece, 20. Turkey, 21. Tanzania, 22. China).
- Fill up a passport.